Monday, May 5, 2014

Hanging Herb Planter.

Mothers Day is just around the corner and I am bored with giving the same gifts that I give every year. This year I made my mother a Hanging Herb Planter. I am going to brag on my self a bit, this gift turned out amazing, it looks so much better than I expected it would. Not only did I come up with a creative gift for mothers day but I also got to check off #4 on my May Projects to do list. I loved how it turned out so much, that I made myself one, my sister one for her birthday and two to sell at The Red Apron May 16th & 17th in Liberty, MO.  My good friend Kala was kind enough to let me put it in her area to sell, it will go great with all her creative furniture, check out her blog My Breezy Room.

Here is how I made my Hanging Herb Planter




Tools you will need:
Stain 
chalkboard paint 
3 large mason jars or 4 small mason jars 
3 paint brushes
wooden board 
Herbs of your choosing 
Soil and/or dirt 
clear silicone 


1. Stain your board 



        If you already have the board the size you need all you have to do is stain it. If you don't have a board the size you need you will have to cut one. I had some old boards from redoing the pool room and it was the perfect size for this project.  

Since I am going to hang the Herb Planter outside I thought it would look better with a darker stain, that way if the sun does wash it out and make it look white. 

2. Paint on Chalkboard Tags



        In order to do this I laid out where I wanted my jars and then painted on the squares. I used a kids small paintbrush to paint it on. The one thing about  this chalkboard paint is you have to work quickly, it dries out really fast, which isn't a bad thing for the project. I just eyeballed the squared and did not measure making them all slightly different, but it would be very easy to use a cut-out or measure how big you want to make your chalkboard tags. 

3. Add hanging material to the back


       You need to do this before you add you jars or else it will be a lot harder to add something to hang your planter with. There are a ton of ways to hang the board, I opted to put two hanging teeth on the back one on each side. Since it was a little heavy I wanted to make sure there was alot of support on the back to hold the board. 

4. Adding the Jars. 
        
        You should have already mapped out where you want the jars to lay, add to silicone lines the the side and stick the jar to the board. I suggest leaving it laying flat for at least 30 minutes to make sure the silicone is dry. ** You want your jars to be at an acute angle, I put mine at about a 45 degree angle, I say about because I completely eyeballed it. The reason is you don't want the water to just run out the side when you water your herbs. 

5. Planting the Herbs 

     Once you have the jars on the board and you know the jars wont move fill your jar up half way with soil or dirt.  Then put your herbs in, and add dirt or soil until the roots of the herbs are covered. ( I added dirt on the bottom, placed my herb, then added soil around it and on the top.) You will want to water your plants lightly and let the soil sit, then add a little more it needed. 

Write down the herbs you planted on your chalkboard tabs and you are done. 



I love how this project turned out and remember if you are wanting one ( that you don't have to make yourself) head to the Red Apron in Liberty and pick one up on May 16th or 17th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment